‘Rainbow Shooting Stars’ Rainbow Tier Chiffon Cake (new natural colorings)


I made this cake for my dear daughter’s 5th birthday, inspired by her favourite song on Hi-5, ‘Make a wish upon a star’!

The recipes for the Rainbow tier chiffon cake as well as the Chiffon Cake Rainbows are in 'Creative baking: Chiffon Cakes'.



Here I made some minor modifications, instead of cutting stripes for the Rainbow tier chiffon cake, I placed the batter 2/3-1/3 into the chiffon tube pan. I modified the chiffon rainbow into a ‘shooting star rainbow' by cutting the rainbow short and then topping it off with a star made from chiffon cake.

I further baked a plain chiffon sheet cake, in which I cut out stars in which I arranged in a soaring pattern onto the tier cake using melted marshmallows.

Natural red, green and yellow colouring

The colours here are pretty light because I tried to use natural food colourings fully: pink from PME red (left), yellow from gardenia yellow (right), orange from PME red + gardenia yellow, green from PME green (middle), blue from a new acai powder (Brenntag Fruitmax, below), and purple from the blue acai powder + PME red.

New natural blue coloring from acai powder (Fruitmax, Brenntag)

The blue acai powder (Brenntag) was generously gifted from Chr Hansen who specializes in natural food coloring. I was really excited as it’s my first time trying and just ½ tsp gave me a very dark blue tone! However, after baking, the blue mostly faded, and I had to paint the cake over with more acai juice (made by dissolving the powder in water), mixed with blue pea flowers – must be some chemical reaction with baking! So blue pea flowers still hold better for baking.

Happy birthday dear Christine, you truly bring so much joy to us and we are so blessed to have you!

With love of love,
Susanne


I'm really excited! Pre-orders for my next cookbook, Deco Chiffon Cakes are open now for 2 weeks at a special preorder price of $33 (inclusive of $5 delivery)! I really love what they did for the cover.

This book takes into account all the feedback so there's a special extended 6-page troubleshooting guide, basic recipe, improved weights & measures and step-by-step pics of new 3D patterns, cutie animals and festive cakes!

The book will be out in bookstores around 15th Sept. People who opt to pre-order now will receive it one week earlier. Preorders have now closed. Thanks everyone for your overwhelming support! 29 Aug 2016

Thanks so much for your support! Big *hugs*



Comments

  1. Hello, I am from Vietnam, I would like to buy all of the book from you since I can't get it in my country? Can you teach me how to do it? Thank you. My email is lilacckitchen@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear, the previous book is already available on book depository and amazon, you can get it from there. As for the new book, it will be available after 3 months online too. Thanks.
      http://www.bookdepository.com/Creative-Baking-Chiffon-Cakes-Susanne-Ng/9789814721424

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much, I have order it from Amazon just now. Thank you for amazing creative~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela, not sure why I can't see your comment anymore. The wholegrain flour is more healthy, but it's more brown and slightly coarser so if add too much may affect the texture. As for blue pea flowers, my mil bought dried ones from Thailand, but I know of contacts who sell or grow it in SG. PME is from Phoon Huat. You can drop me an email if interested. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susanne,

    I love this cake and is the perfect cake to bake for my daughter who is turning 5 and is also a fan of the Hi-5.

    May I ask how you can get the soft pastel colours? I only used a tiny bit of colouring and the colours turn out very deep and intense. And also the egg batter is quite yellow so when I add red to it, it turns orange. So basically all my colours do not turn out as I had hoped for.

    Also can the different layers of the cake be prepared on different days?

    Looking forward to your advice.

    Thanks again for your lovely creations.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa, can you use less of the coloring? Just a toothpick dip each time. I have some reduced egg yolk recipes in the blog (eg see my latest unicorn cake). Can get much lighter colored batter. Yes can prepare one day prior, keep airtight in fridge. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Hi Susanne, thanks for your reply. I will certainly give it a go. May I know what size cake tins you used for the 3 tiers? And did you use dowel rods to support the tiers?

    Many thanks.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8inch, 6-inch, 4-inch. Yes dowel rods. Thanks

      Delete
  6. Hi....may i know the price for this cake??? my email : kokleefun@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi can you please email to suslovingcreations@gmail.com? Thanks

      Delete

Post a Comment